Quick Facts about Darrius
- Teaches voice and piano, both separately and together
- Works well with ages 12 and up and all experience levels on piano and voice
- Specializes in Jazz,Blues,R&b and Pop
- Teaching since 2000
- Bachelor of Music in Jazz Piano
- Playing piano for 33 years and singing for 42 years.
I recently had a student send me his first in studio recording of a song he wrote, played on and sang.
A student of mine gets called to sub for me when I can't do gigs. He recently moved out of town to further pursue his music career.
Singing in front of 3000 people that sang every word to every one of my songs in Rio de Janeiro Brazil in 2010!!
Top 3 Desert Island Albums
- Sign of the Times - Prince
- Covered - Robert Glasper
- Masseduction - St Vincent
Learn More About Darrius
General Teaching Style
I teach how to get around on and make sense of the instrument so you can extract what you need and want.
I teach by having you sing and record yourself a lot. I am mostly concerned with you using your speaking voice to sing.
For piano students I use my own book. Focused a lot on theory and getting students to recognize chords and chord symbols so as to create your own style.
Focus & Goals of the First Lesson
You can expect to review the basics like note names and major scales. It doesn't differ between adults and children.
- Great at answering your questions
- Great at making it simple
- Great at being patient and creating the space for step by step learning
- Great at making sure you're having fun the whole way