Quick Facts About Josh
- Teaches piano, voice, drums, woodwinds, harmonica
- Works well with students aged 7 to adult, all experience levels
- Curriculum is tailored for students, with both visual and analytical approaches
- Strengths: Customizing a course of study based on a student's learning style, simplifying complex topics
- Teaching for 10 years
- Self-taught professional musician for 40 years
Schedule a Lesson with Josh
Learn More About Josh
General Teaching Style
I try to build a strong sense of music theory using songs the student enjoys.
My curriculum varies as I tailor it to the learning styles of each student -- some are more visual, others more analytical, and I create lessons that will resonate with them.
Focus & Goals of the First Lesson
In my first introduction with a student I try to impart a sense of the fun journey they are about to embark upon. Learning to play music enriches your life in a way that very few things can compare to.
I try to eliminate any fear that learning a new skill can invoke by teaching them a fun song they can play in their first lesson. This empowers them and helps them to realize that music is something they can enjoy and excel at.
I also tailor every lesson to the student's strengths. Whether they are analytical, creative, kinetic, or visual learners, I find their strengths and use them to make learning more efficient and more fun.
I feel I am succeeding if my student arrives to each lesson with a smile and enthusiasm for learning music!
I'm particularly skilled in determining what path to take based on a student’s learning particularities. Also, I'm good at helping simplify a difficult topic such as improvisation.
Additional Experience & Instruments
I've been performing music for 40 years, in every genre. In addition to the instruments that I teach, I also have experience playing the guitar and bass.
Most Inspirational Music Moment
Probably the first time I had to play a jazz club with my band. The level of musicianship I witnessed at the club was pretty humbling. It made me want to be a stronger performer.
Top 3 Desert Island Albums
- Michel Legrand - The Thomas Crown Affair (original 1968 film soundtrack)
- Buddy Rich - Buddy and Soul
- Eumir Deodato - Prelude
Listen to Josh
- Public Folder - This is where Josh posts files for his students