Quick Facts About Travis
- Teaches piano, guitar, voice
- Works well with all ages and skill levels
- Customized curriculum based on students' skill and musical tastes
- Strengths: Ongoing musical growth & development through practicing, performing and teaching
- Teaching for 10 years
- 12 years of classical & jazz piano lessons + 5 years of voice lessons
Schedule a Lesson with Travis
Learn More About Travis
General Teaching Style
I strive to help each student develop his or her unique relationship to music. One of my goals as a teacher is to help each student awaken his or her inner-teacher, and a great way to do this is to approach each lesson as a special practice session for the student.
I try to create a very comfortable and supportive space for the student; this calls for a patient attitude and a willingness to answer any questions and follow tangents, while still making sure to always bring it back around to the goal of the lesson. In lessons, I always refer to the student's "practice time at home," so that when they find themselves with their instrument at home, there is a strong sense of continuity with the lesson. I ask myself, "What can I teach this student in this lesson that they will be inspired to go home and work on?" It is important to give the student an appropriately sized piece of Concept to chew on for the week, and my many years as a teacher (and student) have given me a pretty good idea of what that means for each student.
Off the Wall has an extensive and varied library of music organized by style and difficulty level which allows for the creation of a personalized curriculum for each student. I never have trouble finding a song that satisfies both the student's interest, as well as my goal as a teacher to create a well-rounded musician.
My goal as a musician is to always be developing, deepening and -- above all -- appreciating my relationship to music. As a teacher, I strive to instill in my students the same goal. I am constantly practicing, performing or teaching. Music is vast, beautiful and humbling, and I think my respect for music makes me a very sincere teacher, and my self-discipline makes me a skilled one.
Additional Experience & Instruments
I myself have been fortunate to have some very excellent teachers over the years. As they helped spark and nourish the musical flame in me, I aim to do the same for my students.
In addition to the instruments that I teach, I also play bass, the recorder and the harp.
Most Inspirational Music Moment
- Tension (V chord) & Release (I chord)
- And coming to terms with the simultaneous sound of two tones 13 semitones apart.
Top 3 Desert Island Albums
- Crimes - The Blood Brothers
- Feels - Animal Collective
- The Idler Wheel - Fiona Apple
- Public Folder - This is where Travis posts files for his students