Quick Facts about Matthew
- Teaches saxophone, drums, guitar, piano, clarinet, flute, bass, and ukulele.
- Works well with all ages and beginner to advanced skill levels
- Can teach any style of music. Prefers rock, jazz, and funk.
- Strengths: Patient, Personable, Inspiring and Fun
- Teaching for 17+ years
- Received a Bachelor of Music and graduated Cum Laude from the University of North Texas.
- Offers lessons in how to play an instrument while singing
Learn more about Matthew
General Teaching Style and Curriculum
My teaching style is based on the student's personal experience with their instrument and their music tastes. I like to cater to whatever music they enjoy while adding new musical genres they may not know very well to help expand their tastes and styles. I use music books that I've acquired over the years. I also use PDFs that I download from different music sources on the web. I normally will transcribe music that the student wants to learn as well. It really depends on the students skill and knowledge with the instrument.
Focus & Goals of the First Lesson
On the first lesson we will focus more on the basics. I give them a road map of their instrument and start them out with simple songs and exercises. With younger students, I really want them to be engaged and have fun with the lesson whether it be discussing favorite songs/bands and really getting to know their instrument. With older students, it's the same teaching style but throwing in more advance concepts and techniques. My philosophy is: tunes, technique, and theory.
When it comes to teaching music, my strengths are patience and being personable. I believe the number one rule of playing music is having fun, so I do my best to encourage and inspire my students to keep up with their craft.
Additional Experience & Instruments
I have been playing live with my bands as well as other bands for fifteen years. I have experience playing live with all the instruments I teach. The experience I've had with performing, writing, and practicing has given me a great deal of knowledge to pass down to my students.
Most Inspirational Music Moment
My most inspirational music moment was getting to play saxophone while Chad Smith from Red Hot Chili Peppers sat in on drums during a show with one of my funk bands during the 2017 Austin City Limits Festival.
Top 3 Desert Island Albums
- Saucer Full of Secrets - Pink Floyd
- On The Corner - Miles Davis
- A Love Supreme- John Coltrane